Walvis Bay
South Africa, Walvis Bay · 1978-03-10
Official first day cover (FDC) · South African philately
Click any photo to see it enlarged.
front
This cover is postmarked on 10 March 1978 in Walvis Bay, two days short of the centenary of Britain's annexation of the territory on 12 March 1878. The stamp depicts the settlement in its earliest form, a scattering of buildings along the beach with a container ship anchored offshore. Walvis Bay's history stretches back much further than its 1878 annexation. Bartolomeu Dias landed there in December 1487, naming it Golfo de Santa Maria da Conceicae, nearly four centuries before the harbour town shown on this stamp took shape.
Description of the Cachet
The cachet features a gold embossed coat of arms at the top, two flamingos flanking a shield beneath an anchor, with a small banner motto below. Underneath sits a detailed line drawing of Walvis Bay's harbour, cranes and warehouses stretching along the quay with ships and tugs working the water in the foreground. The title "Walvisbaai/bay 1978" runs along the bottom in matching sepia tones. The single stamp sits in the top right, a period illustration of the early settlement showing a sailing ship offshore and a scatter of buildings including a church along the beach. A pelican in flight forms the postmark design, cancelling the stamp with the town name and date curving around the bird's wingspan.
Information Card
HISTORY OF WALVIS BAY The present Walvis Bay, formerly Golfo de Santa Maria da Conceicae, was discovered on 8 December 1487 by Bartolomeu Dias. On 12 March 1878 Britain annexed Walvis Bay and Maj. D. Erskine was appointed as its first magistrate. He was succeeded in 1880 by W.C. Palgrave. After the war between the Namas and the Hereros in the interior in September 1880 Musgrave became the magistrate. In 1881 the small settlement was threatened by natives. By the good offices of missionary Hahn, and a visit from the British warship Wrangler, peace was restored. A small garrison of troops remained in Walvis Bay to protect the area. In the following years the chief tasks of magistrates Whindus (1881-1883) and Simpson (1883-1884) were to control the importation of arms and ammunition and to keep the situation among the native population in the interior under surveillance. To establish the constitutional position of Walvis Bay beyond dispute the Cape Parliament passed Act 35 of 1884 whereby Walvis Bay and its surroundings became part of the Cape Colony. After the colonization of South-West Africa by Germany in 1884 the boundaries of Walvis Bay were determined but could only be surveyed in 1912 after much negotiation, a commission of inquiry in 1885 and eventual arbitration by the envoy of the king of Spain. Walvis Bay, which owes its birth to its harbour potential, acquired its first jetty, which was 616 feet long, in 1898. The harbour activities declined, however, in proportion as the Germans developed Swakopmund as a harbour for German South-West Africa. Only after the SWA campaign and the building of a railway line from Walvis Bay to Swakopmund in 1915, did Walvis Bay develop into the chief port for SWA. The building of a new harbour in 1927 and the development of industries greatly contributed to Walvis Bay's gradual development, especially after World War II, into a modern city. Administratively Walvis Bay became part of the Union of South Africa at Union in 1910. The status of Walvis Bay remained unchanged until 1922 when it was placed under the control of the Administration of South-West Africa for administrative purposes by virtue of parliamentary legislation (Act 24 of 1922). Walvis Bay was governed by a town management board from 1925 and acquired municipal status in 1931. From 1940 to 1948 it was governed by the Magistrate of Swakopmund, and from 1948 by a city council. The present population of Walvis Bay is as follows: Whites - 10 100; Coloureds - 4 200; Bantu - 12 900. The most important industry is fish processing, which yields R100 million annually. GESKIEDENIS VAN WALVISBAAI Die huidige Walvisbaai, voorheen Golfo de Santa Maria da Conceicae, is op 8 Desember 1487 deur Bartolomeu Dias ontdek. Op 12 Maart 1878 het Brittanje Walvisbaai geannekseer en maj. D. Erskine as eerste landdros aangestel. In 1880 is hy deur W.C. Palgrave opgevolg. Na die oorlog tussen die Namas en die Herero's in die binneland in September 1880 het Musgrave landdros geword. In 1881 is die klein nedersetting deur inboorlinge bedreig. Deur bemiddeling van sendeling Hahn en 'n besoek van die Engelse oorlogskip Wrangler is die vrede herstel. 'n Klein troepemag het in Walvisbaai agtergebly om die gebied te beskerm. In die daaropvolgende jare was die hooftake van landdroste Whindus (1881-1883) en Simpson (1883-1884) om die invoer van wapens en ammunisie te beheer en die betrekkinge onder die inheemse bevolking in die binneland dop te hou. Om die staatsregtelike posisie van Walvisbaai onbetwisbaar te maak, het die Kaapse Parlement Wet 35 van 1884 aangeneem waarvolgens Walvisbaai en omstreke 'n deel van die Kaapkolonie geword het. Na die kolonisering van Suidwes-Afrika deur Duitsland in 1884 is die grense van Walvisbaai vasgestel, maar dit kon eers in 1912 na vele onderhandelinge, 'n kommissie-ondersoek in 1885 en uiteindelike arbitrasie deur die gesant van die koning van Spanje, opgemeet word. Walvisbaai, wat sy ontstaan aan sy hawemoontlikhede te danke het, het in 1898 'n eerste hawehoof met 'n lengte van 616 voet gekry. Die hawebedrywighede het egter gekwyn namate die Duitsers Swakopmund as hawe vir Duits-Suidwes-Afrika ontwikkel het. Eers ná die veldtog teen Duits-Suidwes-Afrika en die bou van 'n spoorlyn tussen Walvisbaai en Swakopmund in 1915 het Walvisbaai as hoofhawe vir SWA ontwikkel. Die bou van 'n nuwe hawe in 1927 en die opbloei van nywerhede het bygedra dat Walvisbaai geleidelik, en veral na die Tweede Wêreldoorlog, tot 'n moderne stad ontwikkel het. Administratief het Walvisbaai met Uniewording in 1910 deel van die Unie van Suid-Afrika geword. Die status van Walvisbaai het tot 1922 onveranderd gebly, tot dit deur middel van parlementêre wetgewing (Wet no. 24 van 1922) vir administratiewe doeleindes onder beheer van die Administrasie van Suidwes-Afrika geplaas is. Walvisbaai is vanaf 1925 deur 'n dorpbestuursraad bestuur en het in 1931 munisipale status verwerf. Gedurende die jare 1940 tot 1948 is dit deur die Magistraat van Swakopmund bestuur, en vanaf 1948 deur 'n stadsraad. Die huidige bevolking van Walvisbaai is soos volg: Blankes - 10 100; Kleurlinge - 4 200; Bantoes - 12 900. Die vernaamste nywerheid is visverwerking wat jaarliks 'n opbrengs van sowat R100 miljoen oplewer.
Theme: Heritage
Condition: FineGood condition. Minor wear or small imperfections, but overall well-presented.
Addressed: No
Signed: No
Stamp denomination: R0.15 (ZAR)
SG reference: 439
SAPO serial number: 3.6
Estimated value: ~US$0.06
This is a high-level, subjective estimate only, not a professional appraisal.
This first day cover (FDC) is part of Southern Covers, a private collection of 211 first day covers documenting the postal history and philately of South Africa and the homeland states. New to first day cover collecting? Read the guide to learn about cachets, postmarks, and stamp collecting terms, or browse the whole collection of Southern African FDCs.